Rules and Regulations
CODE OF MARYLAND REGULATIONS (COMAR10.44.22.04)
A. A licensee shall maintain cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification from one of the following programs:
(1) The American Heart Association’s Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers;
(2) The American Red Cross’s Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for Professional Rescuers; or
(3) An equivalent program approved by the Board.
B. A licensee seeking renewal shall complete not less than 30 full hours of continuing education, including 2 hours of infection control.
C. A licensee seeking renewal in 2011 and thereafter shall complete a Board-approved course of 2 hours in abuse and neglect.
D. The 2-hour, board-approved course in abuse and neglect required by §C of this regulation shall:
(1) Be completed by each licensee every other renewal cycle;
(2) Relate to Maryland law on the subject of abuse and neglect; and
(3) Count toward the 30 full hours of required continuing education.
E. Optional Pro Bono Program. A licensee seeking renewal may receive up to 8 continuing education hours for providing volunteer pro bono dental or dental hygiene services in accordance with Regulation .07 of this chapter.
F. Cultural Competency. A licensee may receive up to 4 continuing education hours for Board-approved courses on cultural competency.
G. A licensee who has received a license within 6 months of graduation from an approved dental or dental hygiene school is not required to fulfill the continuing education requirements of the Board for the first renewal following initial licensure.
H. A licensee who is on inactive status shall provide evidence of compliance with the continuing education requirements of the Board for the 2-year period preceding application for reactivation of the licensee’s license.
I. A licensee who fails to obtain the required continuing education due to disability or retirement shall comply with this regulation within 6 months of the licensee’s return to practice.